Behind the web service and mobile app, there is a diverse team of 70+ professionals from the fields of engineering, design, business, data and analytics, and QA. We are sharing the end-to-end responsibility for S-kaupat starting from product vision and innovation to release and operations.
Web Engineer, S-kaupat
We are looking for intermediate to senior level Web Engineer to accelerate their learning curve to become senior and beyond in the future. You’d be part of tribe, whose members are in charge of developing S-kaupat web service and its frontend. Behind S-kaupat eCom solution, we have an eCom engine developed by ourselves. Our architecture is fully serverless and event-driven and we work with modern and solid technologies such as React, TypeScript, Next.js, AWS Lambda, SQS and DynamoDB. The product is already in production and doing fine, but we do have new features in our backlog to ease the daily lives and everyday chores of regular people, like ourselves.
We do have a realistic onboarding plan and internal career path for you: first, you’d get to know the product environment both technically and socially. We do have two seasoned tech mentors in the team, both eagerly waiting to be able share their know-how, insights, best practices and lessons learned from the field. You’d be job shadowing your mentors, doing pair coding, getting coached and reviewing code together. After a while, when you feel comfortable, you’d start doing your own releases and executing challenging-enough tasks for your own skill level.
It is worth mentioning that we are not looking for a ticket machine (yet we’re high-tech savvy, we’re humans, not machines); we want to raise product engineers, who are interested in tech, product/business and teamwork. Besides other engineers, you’d also work in close cooperation with designers. We are working in a hybrid mode, but during the past few years of heavy remoting we have learned that onboarding and mentoring tend to get the best results when the work is done side by side with team members.
So, if you are a motivated engineering talent with hunger to learn more and interested in making an impact at-scale and to have influence on the daily lives of massive customer volumes, we might have something special for you!
What we hope from you
– Preferably a couple years of experience in web development. The tech stack we are using consists of React, Next.js and TypeScript
– Potential and hunger to learn good engineering practices and technical skills; we are dedicated to lift you up to senior level in a few years
– Daring and sangfroid attitude. We have a network of +200 stores in S-kaupat and almost 40 000 orders per week, so we are running a millions-of-euros business. Doing your first releases for service of this scale requires a certain level of healthy boldness. We’ve all been there, and you’ll also get used to it with our support!
– Communicative working style and willingness to work closely together with designers and business
– Our working language is English first, so you communicate fluently in English
What we offer in return
On top of a respectful salary, superb company benefits and the finest colleagues, this is what we offer in return:
– Support for your career growth and professional development
– An opportunity to improve and influence the daily lives of millions of people
– Concrete and rewarding end-results, which you can experience yourself by using S Group’s services, when doing your grocery shopping, EV charging or staying in a hotel, for example
– Influence and responsibility. Our engineers have a lot of freedom in their work, but they also live with their solutions, and so do millions of users too
– Ownership. You’re creating services directly for the end-users. You’re not visiting a project; you own the product together with your team members
– Workplace democracy. Our ways of working are not set in stone. Together we’ll continuously improve the ways of developing products and services in the biggest private employer in Finland.
– Reasonable workload. Our supportive community with its great ways of working, setting realistic expectations and the possibility of hybrid work all adds up to less stress for you
– An opportunity to gain know-how and technical competence in wide-ranging technology domains (like web, mobile and cloud) as well as business sectors (restaurants, hotels, online retail and service stations)
SOK Digital Development
S-kaupat team is part of the SOK Digital Development community where we develop web services and apps for the whole S Group – digitalizing the S Group services. Besides grocery eCom, our businesses include consumer goods/fashion/beauty stores, bank services, fuel/EV/service stations, hotels and restaurants.
SOK is owned by the businesses aka. co-operatives, which are owned by their customers. This means we are not on the leash of VC capital or investors – rather we develop services directly for the end users, who are also our owners. We operate with the freedom, responsibility and stability that comes with it.
We cherish our community, are design conscious and pride our growing open source usage and contribution. We have a blossoming DevOps culture and we use modern tools and lean on democratic development standards. We have a holistic philosophy for modern and pure software development practices.
Please submit your CV here and apply for the job on 24.9.2023 at the latest. Our recruiter Saima will be in touch with you! Once contact has been made, you will have the opportunity to ask what questions you may have about this job, our people, and what your future could look like at SOK.